Staying creative can be difficult. Whether you work in a creative industry or have a particular hobby, sometimes you just don’t feel it. But like everything in life, you can’t just wait for it to return. The list below from layerform (pictured below) gives you 40 ways of staying creative. Although some of them seem trite, there are some gems in there. My top 5 favorites being listed below.
- Break your routine. So important to not get stuck in a rut. Not just within your work life but home life too. Life is for living and new experiences will be fulfilling, fun and make you a more knowledgeable, rounded person.
- Listen to music. I always have music on while working (currently listening to Elbow, if you wondered). I know not everyone can but it really helps to set the mood and put you in the right frame of mind.
- Write stuff down. Pretty self-explanatory. An idea does not always hit when you want it to. You might have just woke up, be making breakfast, heck you might be taking a dump when it strikes. Make sure you record it in some way, so you don’t forget later.
- Don’t compare yourself to others. I use a saying “comparison is the thief of joy”. It means, don’t worry if you perceive someone to be better, have more money etc. Do your own thing, enjoy it and you will grow and get better. We all start somewhere.
- Spy on the competition. Yep, I follow loads of other “life hackers” across social media and websites. I draw loads of inspiration from what they do. It leads me down paths I would never have thought of. Adding on to this, if you do use something created by someone else, give them credit. There is plenty of room in the world, we can all grow together.
Those are my top 5. The full list can be found below.
Staying Creative – 40 ways to help