This one is from the NYTimes. For those wanting to get fit quickly, a 7 minute workout!. I should clarify that when I say get fit quickly, I mean as in a short amount of time a day. Not as in you will be Usain Bolt one month from now.
As someone who dabbles in fitness and am a pretty fit guy. I have done rounds of Insanity and P90X, running and currently lift 3 times a week. I have to say, this little bodyweight workout is not too shabby. It hits all the major muscle groups and will get your heart rate up.
The big advantage (apart from being only 7 minutes long) is that you don’t need any equipment to do it. Now, I know it does not state how many of each exercise you should do on the original article, so I will write them out below.
Each of these 12 exercises should be done until failure. After each exercise take a 10 second break before moving onto the next one. For best results do this 7 minute workout first thing in the morning. It will help to get your heart rate up and have you burning fat straight away.
- Jumping Jacks.
- Wall sit. Legs should be shoulder width apart and parallel with your body.
- Push ups.
- Step Up onto chair. Alternate between right and left leg.
- Tricep Dips on Chair.
- High Knees, really try to get them as high as possible!
- Lunge. Again, alternate between legs and go as low as possible.
- Push Up and Rotation. Alternate arms for rotation.
- Side Plank. Once failed on one side, repeat on the other.
There you have it. For those new to exercise, it should provide a great little boost to their abilities. Look forward to a few “newbie” gains. After this I would recommend looking into something like Insanity for losing more weight or P90X for adding muscle. Although both programs are hard work, the amount of equipment needed is minimal.
Get fit quickly – 7 Minute Workout