Following on from our huge list of free alternatives to paid software is (you guessed it) another list! In this part, rather than worrying about video editing software etc, we are going to move into the realm of social media, must have system software and much more. So without any more ado, let’s get to even more free software!
- Display Driver Uninstaller – Use this if you ever have graphics problems or need to change your graphics cards. Removes all old drivers so you can start “from scratch”. (Windows).
- Macrium Reflect – this disk cloning and imaging solution is a life saver. Upgraded to an SSD? Clone it over. No need to reinstall your system. (Windows).
- Ninite – This brilliant website installs multiple programs for you all in one go. It even removes any chance of annoying “add-on” software being put into the mix. Great for new installs or just when you need to update lots of programs in one go. (Windows).
- Unchecky – Everyone should have this installed on their system. It basically stops any other programs you install from adding on other bundled software. For example, Adobe always bundle shitty virus trials when you install. If you forget to uncheck the option, you end up having to faff around to remove it. (Windows).
- Recuva – Deleted a file accidentally? Use this to get it back before it’s gone forever. (Windows).
- Windows 10 Wizard – Windows 10 comes with a load of settings you might not want. From adverts to location services. This software allows you to configure your install how you want it to be. (Windows).
- Windows Portable Repair Toolbox – This has pretty much everything you would ever need to troubleshoot your system. All bundled together giving you more free software then you’ll know what to do with. Everytime you use it, it installs and then uninstalls afterwards, taking up very little system resources. (Windows).
Screen Recording Software
- Bandicam – An ok solution with limits on the free version and watermarks on your videos. (Windows).
- Open Broadcast Studio – Just amazing. Does everything you could ever want and more. No watermarks, includes streaming options and a myriad of other things. I have used it personally for years and it’s spectacular. (Windows, Mac, Linux).
- Simple Screen Recorder – Simple and easy to use. (Linux).
Remote Desktop Software
- Chrome Remote Desktop – A brilliantly simple remote desktop solution and yet more free software from Google. (Windows, Android).
- Anydesk – Another great remote desktop solution. (Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS).
- Splashtop – Free for personal use. (Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS).
- VNC – Real VNC offers free for personal use remote desktop. (Windows, Mac, Linux).
- eM Client – Totally free for home use. Includes calendar, tasks, contacts and a chat feature. (Windows).
- Thunderbird – Used by most people who need an email client. Includes a calendar and an organiser. (Windows, Mac, Linux).
- Opera Email Client – Another great choice for those needing a better email solution. (Windows, Mac, Linux).
- Opera Browser – This might come as a surprise, but the Opera browser has a completely free, totally unlimited VPN built into it. Amazing for streaming videos due to the unlimited nature. (Windows, Mac, Linux).
- Tunnelbear – Gives you 500mb free a month. Okay if you’re only needing it to browse a certain site. No use for video streaming. (Windows, Mac, Android, iOS).
- Windscribe – Gives you 10GB a month and a free adblocker. Okay for a streaming a free videos a month. Free option only allows you to use it on one device. (Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS).
Social Media Managers & Scheduler
- Circular – This is an open source version of Buffer for twitter and is completely and utterly free. (Web App).
- Hootsuite – Brilliant social media manager that allows you to connect two accounts in the free version and schedule as many posts as you like. Also includes an auto scheduler so you can set the amount you want to post a day and then quickly schedule them. (Web App).
- Publer – Allows you to schedule up to 10 posts and manage 5 social media accounts on the free version. (Web App).
- Social Oomph – Schedule tweets for free. (Web App).
- Social Pilot – Limited free options but allows you to connect 3 accounts and share 10 posts a day. (Web App).
- Tweetdeck – Another great manager for twitter. Brilliant to run multiple accounts but the scheduling is clunky and takes too much time to do. (Web App).
We’ll leave it there for now. Any suggestions you might have, leave them in the comments. If you missed part one, check it out here.